Home > France > Regional White
(Details shown apply to the default selection)
Producer: Gerard BertrandGrape Varieties: Chardonnay 80%, Viognier 15%, Sauvignon Blanc 5%Optimum Drinking: Within 6 yearsWine Style: Complex rounded buttery whiteAlcohol by Volume: 14.5%Closure: Natural CorkCountry: France
Intense, complex bouquet of ripe citrus fruits, grapefruit, with peach, honey and dried fruits, combined with lovely toasted notes. Full, rich and silky on the palate with mature, ample notes of vanilla, lightly toasted oak, butter and aromatic tropical fruits. Great length, which is lively and fresh.
Gérard Bertrand is one of the most outstanding winemakers in the South of France, where he owns numerous estates among the most prestigious crus of Languedoc-Roussillon. Named in 2012 as the IWC Red Winemaker of the Year and Wine Enthusiast's European Winery of the Year, he is known locally as the "King" of the Languedoc. Brought up in the Languedoc vineyards, Gérard Bertrand is committed to sharing the characteristics and exceptional diversity of each of the terroirs. Twenty years of know-how ensures that wines bearing Gérard Bertrand's signature have a unique style driven each day by four fundamental values: excellence, authenticity, conviviality and innovation. We firmly believe Gérard will become one of the leading French names in the UK.
Biodynamic winegrowing nurtures the soil and the vines in their natural environment using preparations from plant, animal and mineral origins. Great care is taken in the vineyards to achieve a healthy harvest, with moderate yields of 25hl/ha. The very deep soil was formed by river deposits. It has a high water retention rate and is infertile due to the presence of a chalky sandstone subsoil.
Manual harvesting started with the Sauvignon Blanc, then the Chardonnay and finally the Viognier, when the grape varieties reached optimal ripeness. Immediate pneumatic pressing was followed by a light static settling. 70% of the juice was fermented in new French oak barrels, while the remaining 30% was vinified in temperature controlled stainless steel vats, to conserve freshness and the integrity of the aromas. The wine then went through malolactic fermentation. The wine in barrel was aged for approximately eight months with frequent batonnage, while the wine in vat was aged on the fine lees. The wine was bottled after a light fining.
Serve at 10-12°C as an apéritif, with pan-fried scallops or fish in a delicate white wine sauce.
Chardonnay 80%, Viognier 15%, Sauvignon Blanc 5%
Be the first to Write a Review for this item!
Picpoul de Pinet, Baron de Badassiere 2020£9.15
Terre du Soleil Sauvignon Blanc 2018£45.24