Home > BY STYLE / COLOUR > Red Wines
(Details shown apply to the default selection)
Producer: Herdade do PesoGrape Varieties: Touriga Nacional 40%, Aragonez 30%, Alicante Bouschet 20%, Trincadeira 10%Optimum Drinking: Within 4 yearsWine Style: Vibrant fruity red with a touch of spiceAlcohol by Volume: 14%Closure: CorkCountry: Portugal
Vibrant aromas of red cherry with a hint of fresh violets are complemented by subtle spicy notes on the juicy and silky palate.
Herdade do Rocim is an estate located between Vidigueira and Cuba, in the Lower Alentejo. It comprises 120 hectares, 70 of which are made up of vineyards and 10 hectares of olive trees. The estate is situated on the Vidigueira fault, a 30 mile long east-west facing escarpment which rises to 420 metres. The fault significantly influences the climate, trapping the cool, humid Atlantic winds, so despite its southern location it is one of the most temperate sub regions in the Alentejo. Since its inception in 2000, Herdade do Rocim’s has invested heavily in the vineyards, replanting vines and introducing new varieties. They are pioneers in ‘amphora wines’, following the ancient traditions of vinification in pots known as ‘Tahla’. The vineyard is cultivated manually and minimal intervention is used in the cellar, to produce fresh, elegant and mineral wines. In 2018, Herdade do Rocim was awarded Best Wine Producer by Revista de Vinhos.
2018 started with several rainfall episodes, which built soil water reserves to nourish the vines through the hot summer. At the beginning of August a three day heat wave saw temperatures rise to above 46°C, resulting in grape burn on some of the fruit and delayed ripening. Consequently approximately 25% of the potential production was lost. However, the remaining grapes were healthy and balanced.
Herdade do Rocim is associated with several sustainable programmes: the Sustainable Program of the Alentejo Viticulture and 70% of their grapes are certified organic and the remaining 30% in conversion. The vineyards are located in the unique terroir of Vidigueira, where the escarpment traps cool and humid Atlantic winds, creating cold air and fogs. These cooling and humid influences descend at night, creating diurnal temperature differences which extend the ripening period. The warm days concentrate the flavours in the grapes, while balancing natural acidity is retained during the cool nights. The soils are of granitic and schistous origin. The water level in the soil is rich and superficial, nourishing the vines during the warm summers. All grapes are manually harvested.
The grapes were harvested into 12 kilogram boxes to avoid spoiling the fruit and the grapes were carefully selected on the sorting table. The wine was made following a philosophy of minimal intervention, the grapes fully de-stemmed, lightly crushed and cold macerated to extract aroma and flavour. Fermentation took place in small stainless steel vats at 24°C with indigenous yeasts. The wine was aged for three months in 300 to 500 litre French oak barrels.
This vibrant blend of native Portuguese grapes delivers exuberant aromas of red berries complemented by subtle spicy notes. Textured on the palate with silky tannins enveloping the fruit through to a long, delicious finish. Ideal with barbecued meat.
Touriga Nacional 40%, Aragonez 30%, Alicante Bouschet 20%, Trincadeira 10%
Be the first to Write a Review for this item!
Cotes du Rhone Villages Les Coteaux 2017£9.60
Fleurie La Madone, La Reine de l'Arenite 2018£11.20